3 Easy Ways to Add Walking to Your Workday
April 1, 2014 1 Comment
Walking is perhaps the easiest way to get started moving for your health. And according to the American Heart Association (AHA), walking at work is growing in popularity in part because companies (like Premera) are providing incentives to employees to take care of their health.
Looking for a starting point? How about tomorrow, National Walking Day! Here are three ways Premera employees are putting more movement into their work day.
1. BE PREPARED. Sales Effectiveness Consultant Brenda Frost makes walking easy by keeping an extra pair of comfy shoes in her cube. “I try to walk consistently at lunch, usually one day a week at a minimum. I have a spare pair of tennis shoes in my desk drawer which makes it easier—no excuses!” she says.
2. MAKE A COMMITMENT. For Building Receptionist Ashley Ryan, break time is walk time.
“I walk on my morning break, my lunch and afternoon break. It’s nice to get out of the office even for a few minutes and get some fresh air,” she says. “Sometimes I walk with others, and sometimes a nice walk alone listening to music. Gotta get those 10,000 steps a day!”
3. JOIN WITH OTHERS. Business Continuity Program Manager Jennie Clinton says walking with others keeps her motivated. “I try to get out once or twice a week with some co-workers,” she says. “And we have a standing weekly meeting where we walk together for 30 minutes.”
Ready to Walk?
- More tips from the AHA on walking at work.
- If you’re near downtown Seattle, join the AHA at 11:30 am tomorrow at Union Bank, 5th and University, for a brief rally and one-mile walk.